Top 7 Household Electrical Myths

Don't fall for these household electrical myths and misconceptions!

Everyone uses electricity but only a few people really understand how it works. Combined with the myths surrounding it, it can be dangerous to handle electrical appliances or repairs every day. That’s why it is essential to debunk these misconceptions to ensure the safety of your family.

Let’s take a look at the 7 most common electrical misconceptions and myths in households.

1. A low-voltage shock isn’t dangerous

Wall outlets are a considerable concern for those parents who are raising kids in their home, but they do not hesitate to give their children a battery as a toy. Only a high voltage is dangerous, isn’t it? Wrong! In fact, it is the electrical current (measured in amp) instead of voltage which has the ability to harm and kill us. In the right conditions, even a 12-V battery in your car can cause serious harm or even death.

2. Rubber objects are well insulated

When starting any electrical project, the first thing most homeowners often do is to take off their jewelry or rings and put on rubber shoes or gloves. Although this is a good step, it isn’t sufficient to avoid an accident. In fact, most common items in the households are typically conductors to some extent, not insulators. While pure rubber is fantastically insulated, most rubber gloves or shoes are rarely made of pure rubber. They are normally combined with other additives for durability and strength.

3. A power line is always insulated

Most of the cables and wires connected to electrical appliances aren’t heavily insulated with plastic or rubber. The main reason why birds don’t get harmed when standing on a power line is because they do not touch the ground or another electric wire with a different voltage. As a result, there will be no electron flow or charge imbalance. Thus, make sure to stay away from the cables and wires even when they are covered by rubber.

4. Static electricity and outlet electricity are different

The only difference between static and flowing electricity in the outlets is that the former is instantaneously equalised while the latter constantly flows. Once you plug in the cable, the current will be constant until it is unplugged. So basically, they are not so different as you initially thought.

5. Only old wiring goes bad

Another common electrical myth in many households is that only an old wire can go bad. However, a new wiring system might also go bad quickly after the installation. Just like any other item in your house, electrical wires should be maintained regularly. They can deteriorate and wear over time due to rodents or overload. When they do go bad, it is best to contact an experienced electrician to repair or replace the electrical wiring.

6. Flipping the breaker might reset it

It is obvious that you will reset a circuit breaker by turning off and turning on it again. However, you should be firm during this process. Make sure to press the handle of your breaker firmly to the off position and then back to the on position to help deal with these issues. In other words, you might need to give it more grip instead of flipping.

7. Breaker tripping

Nobody wants to see their breaker tripping. However, many homeowners are still tripping it accidentally and worried about issues with their electrical system. However, the only impact of a breaker tripping is to prevent overloaded cords, so you shouldn’t keep thinking about damage after tripping it yourself.

If you find yourself with electrical problems that require an experienced electrician to take a look, then contact us at Gordon Powers. We have level 2 electricians and 24-hour emergency electricians that can help restore your power back in no time.